5 Tips to Hire the Right Contractor to Install Vinyl Siding in NH
Every successful siding project begins with hiring the right contractor to install vinyl siding in NH. There are dozens of contractors serving the Nashua area, but not all will specialize in the type of siding you want installed. In addition, not all will be licensed, bonded and insured for your protection. Here are some simple tips to find the right company for you.
- Write down the scope of the job you want the siding contractor to do. Is this new construction, or an existing home? Do you need repairs? Do you want the contractor to do trim work as well? What are your job quality expectations? When does the job need to be completed?
- Ask for referrals from friends, neighbors, building material suppliers or your local building permit authority for proven contractors who install vinyl siding in NH.
- Contact several recommended contractors and describe the scope of your project. Ask for a free on-site estimate and local references.
- Contact your licensing authority to verify license status and history for each business. Check for consumer complaints through the Better Business Bureau.
- Ask final candidates for proof of liability and worker’s compensation insurances.
Great contractors can make the siding process easy by recommending the best siding solutions for your needs, handling all aspects of the installation and cleanup, ensuring quality workmanship that will validate manufacturer warranties and giving you the best return on your investment. AJC Roofing specializes in the expert installation of high-quality vinyl siding products and superior customer service. Call us today at (877) 578-0494 to schedule a FREE in-home siding estimate.
Repair or Replace? Our Roofing Contractors in NH Have Answers
The decision to repair or replace a roof is often a source of confusion for homeowners. Customers sometimes call our roofing contractors in NH for a quote on roof replacement, expecting thousands of dollars in expense, when a few repairs are all that’s needed – and that’s the kind of news we love to give! On the other hand, when a roof reaches a certain age and starts to develop leaks, it makes more sense to do a complete replacement because the materials have simply worn out.
There are many factors to consider when deciding if your roof should be patched up or completely replaced. Here are some clues to help you make the decision.
- Age. How old is your roof? Has it reached the end of its lifespan? Most asphalt shingles last around 20 years, and higher-grade materials can last up to 40 years. Wood shingles average at least 15 years and may perform for several decades. Tile and slate shingles have even longer lifespans. If you are unsure of the age of your roof, enlist the help of an experienced AJC inspector.
- Damage. Has there been recent damage from a storm or similar catastrophe? Often these events will warrant complete roof replacement because they cause a level of damage that can’t be repaired. The good news is your homeowner’s insurance will likely cover the cost of replacement.
- Moisture. Inspect your ceilings and interior walls. Are there water spots or peeling paint? These are signs of a leaking roof. If the damage is small and isolated, a roof repair may suffice. If the leakage has been long-term and widespread, there will likely be rot in the roofing system and replacement will be necessary.
It can be difficult for the untrained eye to determine whether to repair roofing in Nashua, NH, or if roof replacement would be the better decision. Contact AJC Roofing today at (877) 578-0494 for reliable advice and a FREE, no-obligation estimate. Don’t delay — you could save yourself a substantial amount of money.
Brighten Every Day with NH Replacement Windows from Alside®
If your current windows aren’t performing as they should – whether due to age, poor quality or improper installation – now’s a great time to upgrade to beautiful, durable Alside® NH replacement windows installed by AJC Roofing! These quality windows can keep your home and family more comfortable all year long, while also helping to reduce your monthly heating and cooling costs.
Replacement windows are among the top-performing home improvements in Remodeling Magazine’s annual Cost vs. Value Report. Here’s what puts Alside windows among the best:
- Custom-made to fit your current window openings precisely.
- Manufactured from virgin vinyl resin for consistent color and strength.
- Alside insulated glass units use the latest technology to ensure the best possible insulation performance and seal strength.
- Available in a wide array of styles, decorative options, complementary trim selections and performance packages for a fully customizable product.
- Easier to install because they require no additional wall construction, in comparison to stock windows found at your local retailer.
- Maintenance-free, so you’ll never have to scrape and paint your window frames again.
Alside replacement windows have proven to offer dependable performance over years and years of use. Don’t go through another winter with drafty, leaky windows! For beauty, durability and energy savings, call AJC Roofing today at (877) 578-0494 to schedule a FREE in-home demonstration and estimate of the very best replacement windows in NH.
3 Problem Areas Roofing Contractors in NH Should Inspect in the Spring
Roofing contractors in NH know that performing maintenance on a roof is always less expensive than repairs, and spring is the ideal time to check your roof and catch any problems that may have developed over the winter. Protect your home by making sure that minor issues don’t turn into major headaches by completing our spring roof maintenance checklist.
- Shingle inspection. Look for shingles that are out of place or cracked, and of course missing shingles. These will need to be repaired or replaced to prevent eventual leaks during spring and summer rains.
- Inspect gutters and downspouts. As we recently blogged, clear gutters do a lot more than look nice. They’re one of the best ways to prevent serious structural damage to your home including mold growth, basement flooding and foundation cracks. Check to be sure both gutters and downspouts are unobstructed so water flow can be directed a safe distance from your home.
- Inspect flashings. Loose flashing around chimneys, skylights and along valleys and walls allows water to penetrate underneath shingles. A good roofer knows how to tack down flashings and reseal as needed.
If you need help inspecting your roof this spring, or if you discover problems, call AJC Roofing at (877) 578-0494 to schedule an inspection or obtain a FREE estimate for roof repair or replacement. We’re your best choice among New Hampshire roofing contractors and Massachusetts roofing contractors.
Spring is Prime Time for New Hampshire Roofing Scams
As the weather warms, many folks will begin to think of home improvements they would like to do, such as painting, landscaping, roof replacement and more. These improvements often require hiring a contractor, so we’d like to offer some tips on how to find a quality company to serve you.
- Clearly communicate your expectations about the work you want completed, and get all agreements in writing so the company is legally obligated to stand behind its word.
- Get at least three quotes for your project for comparison purposes. Beware of contractors who bid far below the average quote; you may pay for the lower price with poor workmanship.
- Talk to references. This is an important step to help you determine a contractor’s track record of service, workmanship and customer satisfaction. Whenever possible, view jobs in progress and those that have been completed. Also, research the contractor’s ratings with the Better Business Bureau.
- Take your time when making a decision. Don’t rush into signing a contract; there’s always another deal around the corner! Discuss your project with the contractor, have him look at your property and get a feel for his customer service style. If a contractor pressures you or makes you feel uncomfortable, move on.
- Never pay for the entire project up front. Such a request is a red flag that he is not a legitimate contractor.
If you’re in need of a proven roofing company, call AJC Roofing first. For over 25 years, homeowners in Nashua, Manchester, Concord, Portsmouth and surrounding towns have relied on us. For a complete inspection and a FREE estimate on roof repair or replacement from the area’s most trusted roofing professionals, call AJC at (877) 578-0494.
Protect Your Manchester NH Roofing with a Spring Gutter Cleaning
As spring blossoms begin to bloom, they’re a reminder that it’s time to perform spring roof maintenance for your Manchester NH roofing. One of these important projects involves cleaning out your gutters. It’s not a glamorous job, but it’s vital to protect your home from potential damage to the roof, soffit, fascia, siding – even the foundation and landscaping!
Here’s a worst-case scenario to consider. When gutters become clogged with leaves and other debris, water fills the entire gutter trough and weighs on the hangers, pulling gutters away from the house. Water spilling over the edges of the gutter splashes against siding and badly erodes landscaping around your house. As water continues to pool around the house, rather than being directed away by downspouts, it can lead to a flooded basement, mold growth and even foundation cracks.
Don’t risk these serious structural problems! Arrange to have a contractor clean out your gutters this spring, or get the job done yourself. If you find that your gutters are damaged and/or require replacement, contact AJC Roofing right away. We’re the roofing company southern New Hampshire and northeastern Massachusetts homeowners count on for quality craftsmanship and top-of-the-line materials. Contact us at (877) 578-0494 to schedule a FREE gutter estimate!
NH Roofing Tips & Tricks: Skylight Shades
NH roofing that features skylights gives your interior rooms a brighter, more open and airy feel than possible with traditionally installed windows. However, there may be times when you want to block or filter the sunlight entering through your skylights. Skylight shades give you control over the light in your home and provide you with an easy option for saving energy and money year-round.
Skylight shades are available in both light-filtering and room-darkening designs, as well as a selection of colors, textures and prints. Some benefits of skylight shades include:
- Reduce your air conditioning bill in summer by blocking sunlight
- Provide an extra layer of insulation against energy loss in winter
- Reduce glare off TV screens and other media
- Minimize furniture and carpet fade due to UV rays
- Increase privacy
- Reduce noise
- Easy to install
With the added convenience of skylight shades, you can enjoy light control and comfort in your home all year long! AJC Roofing installs quality VELUX skylights, featuring the VELUX Blind Collection with over 100 colors and pattern choices available. Call us today at (877) 578-0494 to schedule a FREE skylight estimate.
8 Beneficial Reasons to Purchase a GAF Golden Pledge® Limited Warranty for Roofing in New Hampshire
A couple of weeks ago, we let you know about a great way to get cash back for providing your roof with superior warranty protection. Through May 31, 2013, homeowners can receive a $200 rebate with the purchase of a Golden Pledge® Ltd. Warranty on a qualified roof installed by AJC Roofing!
Interested in finding out more about the advantages of a Golden Pledge warranty? Here are some key features of this outstanding warranty coverage:
- Golden Pledge is the first warranty to offer 50 years of coverage against material defects for the entire roofing system
- 25 years of workmanship coverage
- Labor cost for installation covered for a lifetime
- Disposal costs included (for material defects or workmanship)
- Installer must be GAF certified
- Exclusive 40-point factory inspection
- Warranty is transferrable
A new roof is a tremendous investment; don’t risk thousands of your hard-earned dollars by not covering it with a reputable warranty. Count on AJC Roofing and GAF, North America’s largest roofing manufacturer, to provide you with the best roofing materials available backed by a century of expertise. For more information about Golden Pledge or other GAF warranties, please call AJC Roofing at (877) 578-0494.
$500 Federal Tax Credit Available for “Cool” NH Roofing Shingles for 2012 & 2013
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, Americans spend an estimated $40 billion each year to air condition buildings. That’s one-sixth of all electricity generated in this country spent, just to keep us cooler! Fortunately, there are many energy-efficient building products to help reduce the need for air conditioning by decreasing the amount of heat transferred into a home or other building. This year, installing certain products will not only decrease your monthly utility bills, you may also earn a federal tax credit.
For tax year 2013, and retroactively for tax year 2012, ENERGY STAR®-qualified asphalt NH roofing shingles may qualify for a tax credit of up to $500. This includes several “cool” roofing lines from GAF. If you’ve been thinking of replacing your current roof with energy-efficient shingles, this is a great time to do it!
GAF shingles that are ENERGY STAR-qualified include:
- Timberline® Cool Series in all colors: Cool Antique Slate, Cool Barkwood and Cool Weathered Wood
- Timberline HD™ and Timberline Ultra HD™ in White
- Timberline Natural Shadow in Arctic White
- Royal Sovereign® in White
For more information, please contact your tax advisor or call AJC Roofing at (877) 578-0494 to schedule a FREE estimate for the installation of ENERGY STAR-qualified NH roofing shingles.
3 Causes of Winter Skylight Leaks on Roofing in New Hampshire
Roof leaks in winter aren’t always due to problems with the roof itself. If you have skylights, you may have discovered that they too can become a source of the dreaded water leak. To find the solution, evaluate these common causes of skylight leakage on roofing in New Hampshire.
- Improper installation. Sometimes homeowners attempt to save money by installing skylights themselves, only to find that the cost of repairing water damage caused by amateur installation exceeds the money saved by not calling in a professional. It’s critical that skylight installation includes proper flashing, since the space between the skylight and the roof is generally the only place leaks can develop.
- Poor maintenance. Similarly, skylight flashings which become damaged will compromise a leak-proof installation. A fall roof inspection can catch such damage before cold, wet weather sets in.
- Condensation. What appears to be a leak around a skylight may, in fact, be condensation dripping off its surface. Normal household activities such as drying clothes and showering increase the humidity level in a home. During the winter, when a home is closed up and the temperature difference between outside and inside is greatest, condensation can form.
If you are worried about a winter skylight leak, call AJC Roofing at (877) 578-0494. We’ll determine how the problem can be resolved, and recommend repairs or replacement if necessary.