Always Expect Roofing Contractors in NH to Provide a Written Estimate
The repair or replacement of a residential roof can be stressful and expensive, particularly if the roofing company you choose makes the process more difficult than it needs to be! Most homeowners trust roofing contractors in NH to inform them of all repairs that need to be made before the start of the project. If a roofer fails to properly inspect your roof and detail all necessary repairs in a written estimate, unexpected and costly repairs can arise later in the project.
Occasionally a disreputable roofing company will not inform a client of certain problems, in order to force them to pay for additional expenses once construction has begun. The simple way to avoid this dilemma is to ensure you have a full written estimate in hand before a roofer sets foot on your roof. When you have a detailed written estimate, you will have verifiable and binding proof that there will be no additional fees later on. If a contractor declines to provide this written estimate, end the business relationship immediately.
AJC Roofing is always pleased to provide a FREE, detailed written estimate to each of our prospective clients. We do this after we have thoroughly inspected the job site, in order to avoid any unpleasant surprises for you and our team. Find out how AJC can make the roofing process easy! Call us at (877) 578-0494 to schedule your in-home estimate today.
4 Spring Maintenance Tips for Roofing in New Hampshire
With a keen eye and a bit of elbow grease, it’s not difficult to keep your roofing in New Hampshire in great shape. Spring is an ideal time to do a roof inspection and some basic maintenance to take care of any damage that may have occurred over the course of the winter.
- Inspect the shingles. Carefully climb onto your roof and do a thorough inspection of your roofing system. Look for shingles that are missing, peeling or cracked – these will need to be repaired or replaced. A large amount of shingle granules in the gutters could be an indication that shingles are aging and need to be replaced.
- Check for loose flashing. Flashing prevents water from seeping underneath your shingles. Winter storms may cause flashing to pull away from vulnerable areas such as around chimneys and skylights, so it’s important that flashing is secure. Loose flashing can be tacked down and the tack holes sealed with roof cement.
- Check gutters and downspouts. Make sure your gutter system is flowing freely. If not, clean out leaves and other debris, then flush gutters with a garden hose. Check for loose or rusty sections of gutter.
- Inspect the attic. Look for signs of water, mold or stains that could indicate a leak. Pay special attention to areas around chimneys, skylights and vents that are susceptible to rot.
Regular roof inspections will prevent expensive repairs and potential health hazards. For assistance with repairs or advice about the condition of your roof, call AJC Roofing at (877) 578-0494 to schedule an inspection or obtain a FREE estimate for roof repair or replacement.
Why Invest in Attic Insulation for Your Manchester NH Roofing
How well your Manchester NH roofing performs depends a lot on attic insulation. In the summer, your home’s temperature will be greatly increased by an improperly insulated attic, and a great amount of heat will be lost through the same space in the winter. Houses built before the 1980’s generally are underinsulated, leaving much room for improvement in this area. Current government guidelines for most parts of the country, including New Hampshire and Massachusetts, recommend a minimum attic insulation level of R38. Adding insulation to your attic is a great way increase your home’s comfort and energy efficiency, and also qualifies for a tax credit through the end of 2013.
The most commonly used attic insulation materials are fiberglass and blown-in cellulose fiber. Fiberglass is available in batts that are unrolled and fitted into attic spaces, while loose cellulose fibers are blown into nooks and crannies using a mechanical blower. It’s perfectly OK to install blown-in cellulose over fiberglass or vice versa, depending on your needs.
For 2012 and 2013, adding insulation to your attic can qualify you for a tax credit of 10% of the material cost, up to $500. For more information about how attic insulation helps your home, or for assistance determining whether your attic has enough insulation, contact AJC Roofing at (877) 578-0494.
Why You Should Consider Energy-Efficient Window Replacement in NH
There are many reasons to consider energy efficient window replacement in NH. Even if you don’t have glaring window issues, you may be surprised at how much you can save on costs and enhance your home’s comfort by replacing single-pane and even double-pane windows with an energy-efficient alternative.
- Comfort. Windows manufactured with a low emissivity (Low-E) coating reflect the heat of the sun to keep your home significantly cooler during the summer. During the winter, the coating reflects interior heat, preventing heat loss while still permitting visible light to pass through. While the U.S. Department of Energy estimates that Low-E windows typically cost 10-15% more than a standard window, the reduction in energy loss ranges from 30-50%!
- Savings. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that window replacement with ENERGY STAR qualified windows saves the typical homeowner $465 a year when replacing single-pane windows. A homeowner who replaces standard double-pane, clear glass windows will save $91 annually. Depending on your current situation, the extra cost of energy-efficient windows could be recovered within the first few years of use.
- Increased home value. Real estate experts know that energy-efficient windows are a big draw for homebuyers, which is why homeowners recover an estimated 80% of the cost of window replacement when they sell their home.
AJC Roofing can help you select the New Hampshire replacement windows that best meet your needs and budget, and that will deliver the best return on investment for you. Call us at (877) 578-0494 for a FREE estimate on installing energy-efficient replacement windows in your home.
5 Tips to Hire the Right Contractor to Install Vinyl Siding in NH
Every successful siding project begins with hiring the right contractor to install vinyl siding in NH. There are dozens of contractors serving the Nashua area, but not all will specialize in the type of siding you want installed. In addition, not all will be licensed, bonded and insured for your protection. Here are some simple tips to find the right company for you.
- Write down the scope of the job you want the siding contractor to do. Is this new construction, or an existing home? Do you need repairs? Do you want the contractor to do trim work as well? What are your job quality expectations? When does the job need to be completed?
- Ask for referrals from friends, neighbors, building material suppliers or your local building permit authority for proven contractors who install vinyl siding in NH.
- Contact several recommended contractors and describe the scope of your project. Ask for a free on-site estimate and local references.
- Contact your licensing authority to verify license status and history for each business. Check for consumer complaints through the Better Business Bureau.
- Ask final candidates for proof of liability and worker’s compensation insurances.
Great contractors can make the siding process easy by recommending the best siding solutions for your needs, handling all aspects of the installation and cleanup, ensuring quality workmanship that will validate manufacturer warranties and giving you the best return on your investment. AJC Roofing specializes in the expert installation of high-quality vinyl siding products and superior customer service. Call us today at (877) 578-0494 to schedule a FREE in-home siding estimate.
Repair or Replace? Our Roofing Contractors in NH Have Answers
The decision to repair or replace a roof is often a source of confusion for homeowners. Customers sometimes call our roofing contractors in NH for a quote on roof replacement, expecting thousands of dollars in expense, when a few repairs are all that’s needed – and that’s the kind of news we love to give! On the other hand, when a roof reaches a certain age and starts to develop leaks, it makes more sense to do a complete replacement because the materials have simply worn out.
There are many factors to consider when deciding if your roof should be patched up or completely replaced. Here are some clues to help you make the decision.
- Age. How old is your roof? Has it reached the end of its lifespan? Most asphalt shingles last around 20 years, and higher-grade materials can last up to 40 years. Wood shingles average at least 15 years and may perform for several decades. Tile and slate shingles have even longer lifespans. If you are unsure of the age of your roof, enlist the help of an experienced AJC inspector.
- Damage. Has there been recent damage from a storm or similar catastrophe? Often these events will warrant complete roof replacement because they cause a level of damage that can’t be repaired. The good news is your homeowner’s insurance will likely cover the cost of replacement.
- Moisture. Inspect your ceilings and interior walls. Are there water spots or peeling paint? These are signs of a leaking roof. If the damage is small and isolated, a roof repair may suffice. If the leakage has been long-term and widespread, there will likely be rot in the roofing system and replacement will be necessary.
It can be difficult for the untrained eye to determine whether to repair roofing in Nashua, NH, or if roof replacement would be the better decision. Contact AJC Roofing today at (877) 578-0494 for reliable advice and a FREE, no-obligation estimate. Don’t delay — you could save yourself a substantial amount of money.
Brighten Every Day with NH Replacement Windows from Alside®
If your current windows aren’t performing as they should – whether due to age, poor quality or improper installation – now’s a great time to upgrade to beautiful, durable Alside® NH replacement windows installed by AJC Roofing! These quality windows can keep your home and family more comfortable all year long, while also helping to reduce your monthly heating and cooling costs.
Replacement windows are among the top-performing home improvements in Remodeling Magazine’s annual Cost vs. Value Report. Here’s what puts Alside windows among the best:
- Custom-made to fit your current window openings precisely.
- Manufactured from virgin vinyl resin for consistent color and strength.
- Alside insulated glass units use the latest technology to ensure the best possible insulation performance and seal strength.
- Available in a wide array of styles, decorative options, complementary trim selections and performance packages for a fully customizable product.
- Easier to install because they require no additional wall construction, in comparison to stock windows found at your local retailer.
- Maintenance-free, so you’ll never have to scrape and paint your window frames again.
Alside replacement windows have proven to offer dependable performance over years and years of use. Don’t go through another winter with drafty, leaky windows! For beauty, durability and energy savings, call AJC Roofing today at (877) 578-0494 to schedule a FREE in-home demonstration and estimate of the very best replacement windows in NH.
3 Problem Areas Roofing Contractors in NH Should Inspect in the Spring
Roofing contractors in NH know that performing maintenance on a roof is always less expensive than repairs, and spring is the ideal time to check your roof and catch any problems that may have developed over the winter. Protect your home by making sure that minor issues don’t turn into major headaches by completing our spring roof maintenance checklist.
- Shingle inspection. Look for shingles that are out of place or cracked, and of course missing shingles. These will need to be repaired or replaced to prevent eventual leaks during spring and summer rains.
- Inspect gutters and downspouts. As we recently blogged, clear gutters do a lot more than look nice. They’re one of the best ways to prevent serious structural damage to your home including mold growth, basement flooding and foundation cracks. Check to be sure both gutters and downspouts are unobstructed so water flow can be directed a safe distance from your home.
- Inspect flashings. Loose flashing around chimneys, skylights and along valleys and walls allows water to penetrate underneath shingles. A good roofer knows how to tack down flashings and reseal as needed.
If you need help inspecting your roof this spring, or if you discover problems, call AJC Roofing at (877) 578-0494 to schedule an inspection or obtain a FREE estimate for roof repair or replacement. We’re your best choice among New Hampshire roofing contractors and Massachusetts roofing contractors.
Spring is Prime Time for New Hampshire Roofing Scams
As the weather warms, many folks will begin to think of home improvements they would like to do, such as painting, landscaping, roof replacement and more. These improvements often require hiring a contractor, so we’d like to offer some tips on how to find a quality company to serve you.
- Clearly communicate your expectations about the work you want completed, and get all agreements in writing so the company is legally obligated to stand behind its word.
- Get at least three quotes for your project for comparison purposes. Beware of contractors who bid far below the average quote; you may pay for the lower price with poor workmanship.
- Talk to references. This is an important step to help you determine a contractor’s track record of service, workmanship and customer satisfaction. Whenever possible, view jobs in progress and those that have been completed. Also, research the contractor’s ratings with the Better Business Bureau.
- Take your time when making a decision. Don’t rush into signing a contract; there’s always another deal around the corner! Discuss your project with the contractor, have him look at your property and get a feel for his customer service style. If a contractor pressures you or makes you feel uncomfortable, move on.
- Never pay for the entire project up front. Such a request is a red flag that he is not a legitimate contractor.
If you’re in need of a proven roofing company, call AJC Roofing first. For over 25 years, homeowners in Nashua, Manchester, Concord, Portsmouth and surrounding towns have relied on us. For a complete inspection and a FREE estimate on roof repair or replacement from the area’s most trusted roofing professionals, call AJC at (877) 578-0494.
Protect Your Manchester NH Roofing with a Spring Gutter Cleaning
As spring blossoms begin to bloom, they’re a reminder that it’s time to perform spring roof maintenance for your Manchester NH roofing. One of these important projects involves cleaning out your gutters. It’s not a glamorous job, but it’s vital to protect your home from potential damage to the roof, soffit, fascia, siding – even the foundation and landscaping!
Here’s a worst-case scenario to consider. When gutters become clogged with leaves and other debris, water fills the entire gutter trough and weighs on the hangers, pulling gutters away from the house. Water spilling over the edges of the gutter splashes against siding and badly erodes landscaping around your house. As water continues to pool around the house, rather than being directed away by downspouts, it can lead to a flooded basement, mold growth and even foundation cracks.
Don’t risk these serious structural problems! Arrange to have a contractor clean out your gutters this spring, or get the job done yourself. If you find that your gutters are damaged and/or require replacement, contact AJC Roofing right away. We’re the roofing company southern New Hampshire and northeastern Massachusetts homeowners count on for quality craftsmanship and top-of-the-line materials. Contact us at (877) 578-0494 to schedule a FREE gutter estimate!